Dec 8, 2006

Change is in the air

We got the new changing table from Target. Some of the relatives may recall a fun little adventure on Black Friday. Myself, my wife, my aunt Mary Alice, and my mom all piled into my parents' new car and went looking at used baby stuff at a couple stores. I personally thought there could be no greater hell than shopping for used baby goods on the busiest commercial day of the year. But actually I had a pretty good time.

There's something about baby goods. Commerical products for generic-yuppie adults such as myself are typically done in muted cool colors, sepias, and natural stuff. Baby goods, on the other hand, tend to be pastels, or loud, bright, basic colors. The effect is a little like being screamed at, except it's by inanimate objects. We've been lucky to find some more tasteful items without breaking the bank.

Anyway, we went looking for a changing table and found a really great one, except the store wanted a little too much, then bizarrely insisted they couldn't sell it to us because it was just a display item, then reluctantly agreed, then broke it trying to pack it up for us. And all of a sudden I'm spending my holiday being harangued by clerks quarreling with me about how much I should have to pay for the furniture they just broke. We escaped and fled home for more turkey and pie.

I think we'll be happier with this item anyway. I just hope it's easier to put together than it looks.

Incidentally, did you know the original use of "Black Friday" is from a gold-futures scandal during the presidency of Ulysses Grant? Hey, wake up!!

When Black Friday comes
I'll stand down by the door
And catch the grey men when they
Dive from the fourteenth floor
--
Steely Dan

No comments: